Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Warning!

First tornado warning. The rain this evening was more like a waterfall. Little streams were forming on the grass. We were invited to dinner by some neighbors, as we walked over the sky was turning black and there was a lot of lightning. We had just heard on the news about a tornado warning. I was freaking out. Two minutes after we got to the neighbors was when the rain started. It was so amazing to watch. It was great and ominous. We sat and watched it out the front window while listening to the radio broadcast. I couldn't believe how dark it was and how everything seemed to be tinted turquoise. I am glad we were with people who have lived here and knew how to "handle" the situation and calm my tornado fears. I thought for sure my reoccurring tornado nightmares were going to come true. All is well though, it rained really hard and then by the time we had to go home to get the kids in bed it had let up. There is still a lot of lightning and thunder going on. So one down, I wonder how many more of these we will experience!

3 comments:

Ute Family said...

Oh yeah, get used to it. And just so you know, I grew up in tornado alley for 22 years and had probably 10 scares a summer but was actually only in one tornado!!! And the one I was in was in western KS while traveling to Utah by car. So you'll probably have a lot scares, but nothing ever happens. It's actually kind of exciting (once you get used to the idea :) Good luck!!!!

Suzanne said...

lol, we had one the first week we moved away too! I'm with the previous poster, lots of scares and no actual storms. (yet!) Life's never boring out here!

Melissa Morgan said...

Yikes!! The first thing I thought of when I read your post was Kinnie. I hope these storms don't scare her too bad. The way you described the sky looking sounds kind of cool though. Something I'm sure you will get used to. BTW....killer walk in closet for the kiddos!!!!