Friday, May 20, 2011

Grandma Betty



Dear Grandma,
I wished I could have said goodbye.  I knew when I last saw you that it would maybe be the last time, but I wasn't hoping it would be.  I hope you knew how much I loved you.  You were a wonderful grandma and I will remember all of the time we spent together.  I loved when you took me to Tanner Park and let me play for hours.  I loved walking down that trail with you and exploring with you.  I think part of my love for nature came from you.  I loved playing games with you like Candy Land and Memory.  I loved opening presents Christmas morning and then getting ready to go to your house for lunch to eat ham, potato salad, chips, fruit, and rolls.  I loved your Thanksgiving jello that you made every year.  Your house was always spotless and clean and even though it smelled like smoke it was always in perfect order.  I always thought about writing you a letter when I was little to tell you to stop smoking.  The smell will always remind me of you though, and that's not so bad.  I loved when you took me to ZCMI every year on my birthday to shop for a new outfit.  You thought it was funny when I would pick out blues and greens instead of pinks and purples, but you let me choose what I wanted.  You would take me to that nice restaurant up on the top floor afterwards and I would order a hot dog and chocolate milk, you thought that was pretty funny too.  Even in your old age you pressed on and worked hard, you were so stubborn.  I was grateful we got to live next to you for a few years.  I loved that you called Kinnie "Rosebud" from the moment you first held her.  She loved you too.  She loved going over to visit with you and getting the cookie or pudding you always had for her at the end of the visit.  If you weren't edging the lawn you were inside cleaning under and behind the fridge or finding some sort of cleaning to do.  I am sorry you had to deal with poor health in the end and had to be so unhappy.  I am glad you are relieved of your pain.  I love you Grandma!
Love,
Coles 

No comments: