Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Square One, Babies, Nightgown, Interviews!

Again I have to say thank you to all of you for your advice. However, we are back at square one. After two days, yes just two days, Kinnie came down with a cold and I was not about to let her cry anymore when I knew she was not feeling well; sneezing, congested, couldn't breath...Actually, I am pretty happy she got a cold because that gave me a great excuse to quit. The day after I gave up, as I was just putting Kinnie in her crib who was sound asleep in my arms, after reading books and rocking with her, I realized how content we both were at the time. I will try again in a couple of weeks...perhaps, and not do such a "cold turkey" approach but maybe something a little more subtle. I think I was trying so hard to follow the book and was so excited for it to work, but didn't realize at the time that it wasn't my style and didn't really suit Kinnie.



Kinnie is so into baby dolls lately. Her aunt Lindie let her borrow this one and bring it home the other day. Kinnie played with it for about a half hour straight, she was busy carrying it back and forth from her infant car seat to a big box in our basement. After she took a nap she played with it some more. I put it in a push toy that she has and we took it outside for a walk, she loved that! When she woke up the next morning she saw the baby on the couch and was soooo excited to see it again. We returned that baby to Lindie and Grandma Bell sent us home with another little baby doll. She has had just as much fun with it as the first one. We are also borrowing a stuffed brown, cozy dog that she loves too. Maybe I should make a check-out list for everything.






My mom kept a few of my clothes I wore when I was little and I brought some of them home before Kinnie was born. Not that they are in style or anything but I just wanted them to have. I hung up a nightgown of mine in her closet and decided to try it on Kinnie last night. It fit so well and she looked really cozy in it, I had to post a picture of her in it. My Grandpa Herman's brother's wife made it. Pretty amazing to be able to sew like that. I wish I could!



Last but not least. Landon has been invited to four interviews for dental school so far. We are so excited. Landon first heard from Nova in Florida, then USC, Marquette in Wisconsin and Dalhousie in Canada. As we have been receiving the invites I have thought how we might be living in one of these places next year. It is really weird for me to even think about because I can't imagine being away from family. It is kind of like I just think about it for a few seconds and then distract myself with something else before I start feeling scared or sick. It will be hard but a fun adventure I'm sure. His interviews are within the next couple of months so wish him luck!

12 comments:

Hannah Jones said...

She's such a beautiful girl! She looks like an angel in your nightgown!
I hope she feels better soon!
Don't worry about the sleeping thing, it'll work out when you're both ready! :)
Congrats to you guys for all those interviews! What fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey if Landon has an interview at Nova, my brother is in his third year there and he lives right across the street. If Landon wants he can contact him to stay with him. By the way this is Courtney VanBibber, brother is Justin and we were in Landon's ward growing up.....You can email me at courtney_featherstone@yahoo.com if you want!!!

Lara said...

Hey Nicole! I know how you feel with sleeping. We've all been there. Right now, we have to sit with Caleb to help him sleep. At first, we sat in his room till he slept, then we inched our way out until now we sit outside the door until he falls asleep. It's getting better. He just decided one night about two months ago that he was terrified of the dark. This morning he said the "witch" was "scary." I don't know where he got that from, but it gets better. I prefer the easing style as well, less traumatic. But, good luck to Landon with the interviews. You guys are the best!

Andrea W. said...

I think you're so smart to just do what you feel good about. It's so hard to try and balance all the info with your instincts. I hope Kinnie feels better soon! She looks so cute with your darling nightgown on. I love that she already loves dolls.

Tiff-E said...

Good luck Landon! And cute nightgown...I love litte nightgowns, they are so sweet, and I still remember some of mine!!! As for the sleep thing, I tried all the advice from others, and had to find my own way of doing things for Kaylie and me too...but it all works out, and I still rock Kaylie, and even though it's not always convenient, you can make little baby steps to make it a quicker process, (like 3 or 4 books at first, then cut back to 2 or 3, of start with a sippy cup, and gradually put less and less milk in it, etc...you get the idea, right!) Anyway, I remember Kaylie got sick right after too, and I secretly was glad...there's something about holding and loving your baby...but to each his own, right!

Eliza said...

Okay I am just in love with kinnie! she is just so edible! I love that she loves dolls already, I swear it is totally inherent, girls just love dolls and boys love guns from the earliest ages. That nightgown is so cute how fun to be able to share a piece of your past with her. that sleeping stuff is so rough, after I gave you all that advice my kids have been Horrible! I too am doing that chair method where you inch it out every night, anyway, hang in there, and know that almost everyone goes through it.

Ute Family said...

Sorry about the sleeping...hopefully it will all work out!

And I have a lot of my old clothes too...I just love passing things down. I think it's a great thing.

Congrats on all the offers. Going away for a year will be a WONDERFUL experience! Enjoy it! And good luck...wherever you decide to go!

Rachel said...

Sorry to hear that Kinnie is not feeling well. That has to be one of the worst parts of being a mother, see your child suffer. But congrats to Landon on so many interviews. That is awesome. Crazy to think so many life changes could be coming. It's a scary time, but so fun too.

Megs said...

Hi Nicole!! Your baby is so adorable!! Looks like life is treating you well... Good luck getting the little one to sleep by herself and just remember to do whatever you feel is best, don't listen to the books, etc... Megan

Ellen said...

Hey Bells!!! How are you guys! This is Ellen White. I'm pretty sure I'm probably the only Ellen you know...

We are in Ohio for Dental School! It's the BEST! (Actually the first two years REALLY stink!) Good luck with interviewing, landon. Nova is a great school, Dan has a friend there. Dan's cousin-in-law went to Marquette and loved it too! If you interview at Ohio State you are welcome to stay with us! Good luck you guys!

Clark Family said...

When we lived in Florida for law school there were many dental students in our ward that went to Nova. Apparently, they love Mormons and their work ethic. We had a great time living there, minus the hurricanes. I can't wait to see where you end up!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Girl! Looking gorgeous in pink nightgown. I think nightwear should be more comfortable .There are so many shops for women sleepwear's in market. But I like Vermont country store for my on line shopping. This is very good site for apparel, Nightgown and gifts shopping.