Saturday, December 4, 2010

Worth the Try

Kinnie was so excited to sit on Santa's lap today and tell him that she wanted a baby doll that opens and closes her eyes, a baby crib and binky. She had to wait all the way until after Andrew's nap. She was very patient but so excited. I was excited that she was excited! After Andrew's nap we got all bundled up and walked down the street to the gardens. I checked in at the desk, my understanding was that it was free but if you wanted pictures and crafts you had to pay $3 per child. I asked if I could just take my own pictures but they didn't allow that. Well I couldn't let Kinnie down now that were there so I might as well pay the money, get the pictures, do the crafts. I got a bit flustered with the situation and ended up paying $6. I didn't even think that I would just do one picture with both kids and Andrew wouldn't be doing any crafts so I really only needed to pay $3. We followed the sign to see Santa Claus, I am expecting a little line but we are the only ones. Andrew appears to be oblivious and Kinnie is terrified. I thought maybe I could still talk her into it and she just needed to see him for a minute, get used to him, wave to him and say hello. Who am I kidding? This is Kinnie, why did I ever think that because she was excited to see Santa she would really sit on his lap and talk to him when the time actually came? She pulled out her nervous moves, rubbing under her nose and putting her finger in her mouth. Honestly, I thought it was a little intimidating how Santa was all set up...or wasn't set up. There weren't any cute decorations, no candy canes, no cute little ladies dressed as elves, not even a big Santa chair. Just a nice old man sitting in a chair across from Santa holding a digital camera. We moved onto the crafts in hopes that I could still talk her into it. She loved the crafts and I loved the cute talkative boy that was telling us that you could go sit on Santa's lap and tell him what you want. I was hoping that would help. After making her paper sack reindeer we walked back towards Santa just to make sure. Nope, not going to do it. I don't think I ever really thought she would do it I just hoped that she would. We spent some time looking at the model trains and fish pond and I tried to take some pictures. We started getting all bundled up for the walk home and who should walk by us? Santa. He said hello and reached out his hand so Kinnie could touch it. He talked to me and said we should try again tomorrow. I was so happy we had that encounter. I figured if anything $6 is my contribution to having a free membership to the gardens, a paper reindeer, and Kinnie being able to touch Santa's white glove.


Nervous fingers in her mouth

A forced, nervous smile

A little more relaxed after the craft

Getting silly

Distracted by the trains

5 comments:

Sara said...

I love those pictures.
You're right..worth a try. That's cute that he walked by and she got to touch his hand.

Mallory Bell said...

oh santa, I remember being nervous to sit on his lap till I was like.. well kind of forever. I dont know what it is about it! haha they are so cute. sounds like a fun outing.

Melissa Morgan said...

That was a fun story to read. Maybe next year! Cute pictures.....can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks!!

Lisa Chin said...

They are growing up so fast and are so adorable. I hope things worked out with a trip back and if not, maybe you should keep going back until she is used to seeing him and he isn't so scary. A year is a long time between visits with a stranger even if he does promise you toys.

Jessie said...

Maybe next year...Merry Christmas!